Thursday, June 25, 2009

RIP Everyone's Favourite Angel

In my 1970's school yard, we used to act out "Charlie's Angels" during recess. Being a short-haired brunette, I was always, by default, chosen to be Kate Jackson's character, Sabrina Duncan. My best friend who had the long blond hair always got to play Farrah Fawcett's character, Jill Munroe. Each recess came and went and I never gave up hoping that one day I would be able to play Farrah Fawcett's character. It never happened and my resentment towards my best friend and towards the boy who played Bosley and who only chased after her secretly grew. I was barely seven years old and already learning that the world would treat me differently for not looking like the favourite Angel.

Thirty something years later, wiser and still, thankfully, a brunette, I still wonder what it would have been like to play Jill, if even for just a day.

No comments: